It is one of those albums that does not really enjoying that at the fifth or sixth listen. Not those for which you have a favorite right now, but rather those that we learn to enjoy such a dish spicy flavorings that conceals unknown. I especially appreciate this sentiment: we listen to the CD loop, then all of a sudden freeze frame and say "but minute butterfly, these songs are really great, they make me vibrate.
is the case with "My Old, Familiar Friend" by Brendan Benson. For those who do not know, Brendan is the post that accompanies Jack White on guitar on the Raconteurs. I discovered this artist at about the time the Raconteurs were beginning to make themselves known when a friend gave me "The Alternative to Love" for my birthday. This album made me almost the same effect, I'd appreciate gradually and then suddenly one day I started to listen carefully to the lyrics of "What I'm Looking For" to me had all returned.
On its fourth album, Mr. Benson opened the ball very hard, in a symphony of guitars and snare drums, as on the beginning of "The Alternative to Love" with "Spit It Out". "A Whole Lot Better" therefore gives the tone: wild flights and lyrics are bittersweet taste of the day.
Then they escaped to the melodies tinged pop-rock violins, all wrapped in an ever catchy. In this sense, "Eyes on the Horizon" takes us on a cruise rather restless, and "Garbage Day" is a beautiful nugget and the beginning of this album. "Take You Home" is the consecration. For the lucky people who saw Brendan last February at the Nouveau Casino, I can assure you that on stage, the song that marked the end of the concert was simply sublime.
ago in Brendan oscillation between the real strength of his electric songs ("Poised and Ready," "Do not Want to Talk About It") and nostalgic melodies found on "You Make a Fool Out of Me" and sometimes these two trends are met: "Misery". In fact, the whole album is fluid, the order of songs carefully chosen, and it concludes with the tumultuous "Borrow", followed by two hidden tracks, "New Words of Wisdom", disturbing emotions, and " I'll Never Tell "perhaps the darkest song on the album. No song
violent and fiery as can be found in the Raconteurs, or to force songs dripping piano and voice quavering.
I think what makes the harmonic force Brendan is a subtle mix of keyboards and guitars. And be aware that He made it all as a great: drums, guitar, bass, lyrics ...
The criticism I have read keep saying it does "nothing revolutionary" that it's actually quite banal pop, but I do not agree. Brendan ago in a je ne sais quoi that makes it presses on the nerve where it hurts or where you sketch a smile, you realize one thing: Mr. Benson is right. Yes, "just" is, I think the word that best describes his music. He is right in the nuance and subtlety. When you listen to "What I'm Looking For", you say: "here is quite that it expresses exactly how I feel, right now, for the moment. "
And then we must say he has a knack for lyrics that glorify seem ridiculous in the mouth of the singer of brit pop lambda.
As the title suggests, "My Old, Familiar Friend" is like a friend who takes us by hand to listen to us explain some things in life, so a feeling of closeness Brendan came over me when I listen.
This album, even better than the previous one that I find a good already, mark, I think, a kind of turning point in musical Brendan.
So, Mr. Benson, I wanted to thank you for the intensity of emotion listening to this CD, so comprehensive and fair in its composition.
Truly Yours, etc. ...
0 comments:
Post a Comment